Electrical Safety Tips at Home

July 12, 2017 at 3:58 pm

 

Electrical Safety Tips at Home

 

Electricity is such an integral part of our daily lives that it can be easy to take it and its hidden dangers for granted.

The following tips will help you and your family use electricity safely.

 

 

ELECTRICAL SAFETY BASICS

 

Your body can be a conductor of electricity. Take extra care to avoid touching bare wires, faulty appliances, or electrical outlets.

If you are unsure whether a wire or electrical appliance is energized, always assume it is.

 

In the event that a loved one is injured in an electrical accident, immediately unplug or shut off the power source. Never touch someone who is in contact with an electrical current until you know for certain that the power source has been shut off or unplugged.

 

Keep an all-purpose fire extinguisher on every floor of your home. Never attempt to put out an electrical fire with water.

 

 

WATER AND ELECTRICITY DON’T MIX
Keep water and wet hands away from electricity and all electrical appliances when in use.

 

 

USE ELECTRICAL CORDS WISELY
Regularly check wires and extension cords for signs of wear, and repair or replace those that are frayed or cracked.
Prolonged use of extension cords can cause overheating and fire.
Cords should never be nailed or stapled to a wall or placed under carpeting.

 

 

ELECTRICAL SAFETY THROUGHOUT THE HOME
Cover unused wall outlets with plastic safety caps to protect small children and pets.
Never overload outlets by using multiple adapters or power strips, which can result in a fire.
Unplug appliances while cleaning or repairing them.
During a lightning storm, turn off your television set or other appliances.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *